Networking is a great way to meet new people and make new contacts. Here are 7 reasons why you should network
- Build your network of contacts- Networking allows you to expand your existing contacts, increasing your pool of clients and suppliers. I have met numerous people by networking.
- Learn new things- By meeting new people, I have learnt new things about my industry and especially about the needs of my customers.
- Build your profile and professional brand- Become more recognised by your peers, clients, suppliers and the community. Build your professional brand (We will discuss your personal or professional brand in another post later). I have been asked to join committee’s, speak at conferences and become involved with local community groups because of networking.
- Gain access to powerful and influential people- Through my networks I have had meetings with some very powerful and influential people in government and business. Networking lets you meet people you ordinarily wouldn’t get access to by walking up and starting a conversation.
- Make strong relationships upon which you can leverage- I met the secretary of a very influential person. By making a good relationship with her, I was able to gain her trust to give me an introduction to her boss.
- Build self esteem and confidence- When I first started I was nervous. But many of the people who network felt exactly the same way when they first started. With practice you will learn to network with the best of them.
- Have Fun!- Meeting new people is a whole lot of fun and a great way to make new friends.